Thursday, August 26, 2010

Easy drinking leads to lots of drinking


This Zamba Malbec is a beaut of a Mendoza. Malbec's are this years spunky blond everyone wants one or knows of a great one long gone. California has embraced this grape with both arms open and over the next few years we'll see quite a few stunning malbecs from Napa.

This Zamba followed an entire bottle of an old favorite and despite my drunken nature I was able to taste this bottle quite well. I just wanted a taste of this sunny wine and when it hit my mouth it was everything I wanted. Clear and bright with high notes and spice holding on strong. It was the perfect late night bottle, and I'm not to ashamed to admit a little guzzling happened. It reminded me of what Spanish wines go for. Conch y Toro hold on to your butt you've been beaten at your own game.

A sober taste reveled a dense plush wine the vineyards call "fruit-forward." Cab Sav's over whelming its fruits with tannins, or a mild mannered merlot baked in the sun all get that lovely phrase slapped on like so much extra cheese on your Big Mac. This solid wine has way more going for it than than that worn marketing-friendly phrase implies. It reminded me of hot dry day filled with earthy dusty smells and spicy food about to be enjoyed. Its definitely getting on my regular buy list. Did the wine appeal to me more when I was well into a buzz? Perhaps, but who cares! Every wine gets drunk somehow somewhere and all of those factors help or hinder the experience. In this case I found a wine well suited to a drunken night of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment